Worship at St Barnabas
Our main Sunday service takes place at 10:15am. This is a Common Worship Eucharist with hymns accompanied by a computerised music system. We use Complete Anglican Hymns Old and New supplemented by newer hymns projected onto the screen. While we have the Common Worship service books, we also project liturgy onto the screen, especially during special services. Average attendance is 34.
On Thursday mornings we have a weekly bible study and prayer time. On the third Thursday of the month this forms the “Liturgy of the Word” element of a midweek Eucharist. Average attendance is around 9.
We do not currently have a choir or music group, but there are enthusiastic singers within the congregation, and we do have a guitarist who plays on occasion. We “borrow” music groups from other local churches for special occasions. We are very keen to expand our repertoire!
During the course of the year we have held a variety of services at celebrations and festivals. During the last year these have included:
- A crib & Christingle service on Christmas Eve which attracts 100 – 200 people
- Midnight Communion, from 50-60 people
- Ash Wednesday service with imposition of ashes, 20+ people
- Maundy Thursday Eucharist
- Good Friday meditations, during which we run a very successful children’s craft afternoon in the church hall.
- An evening of contemplative prayer open to all the Gillingham churches, as part of our response to Thy Kingdom Come for 2018. Members of St Barnabas also attended services in other churches during the week.
- A patronal service for St Barnabas Day
- A service of ‘Commemoration of the faithful departed” on All Saints Sunday
- A service of Remembrance to mark the hundredth anniversary of the end of the First World War.
In addition, in the past three years we have held
- A pet service
- A weekend long festival to celebrate the 125th anniversary of the opening of the church
- A variety of family-friendly worship events on Saturday afternoons
- The Confirmation service in 2016 in which 10 of our congregation were confirmed.